This page may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Aeris Communications, Inc. has filed a new patent that could change the way Internet of Things (IoT) devices are authenticated. The patent is for a computer-implemented method for the secure authentication of IoT devices that involves establishing a network connection between an IoT device and a network operator server using pre-shared client and server keys, and generating a pair of network session keys for secure data exchange between the two devices.
How Does the Patent Work?
The patent uses a secure element, such as the Subscriber Identity Module, to securely store and distribute the pre-shared client and server keys to the IoT device. The method involves several steps, including:
- Establishing a network connection with a network operator server via a control channel
- Establishing the identity of the network operator server and the IoT device using pre-shared client and server keys
- Cryptographically generating a pair of network session keys for a network session based on a lifetime identifier for the session
- Using the network session keys for securely authenticating an application running on the authenticated IoT device.
The system uses a secure element to securely store and distribute the pre-shared client and server keys to the IoT device.
Why Does it Matter?
The Aeris Communications patent for secure authentication of IoT devices is significant for several reasons.
- Improved Security: This technology can help protect IoT devices and users from potential cybersecurity threats, which is becoming increasingly important as more devices become connected to the internet.
- Increased Confidence: With the use of pre-shared client and server keys, the system provides increased confidence that the authenticated IoT device is communicating with the intended network operator server.
- Flexible Applications: This technology can be used in various IoT applications, from smart homes to wearables, to improve the security of these devices and protect against potential cybersecurity threats.
The Aeris Communications patent has the potential to revolutionize the way IoT devices are authenticated and increase the security of these devices, providing peace of mind for both device manufacturers and users.
Zak has spent 12 hears in the tech industry focusing on automation, analytics, and cybersecurity. His passion is tech education; he uses his industry expertise and STEM PhD to break down complicated concepts into simple step-by-step guides. When he’s not writing or coding, you can find him binging anything Star Trek or Marvel or reading far too many sci-fi novels.